Saturday, January 23, 2010

Tabloids - Breaking Down Barriers

During every semester I find it almost impossible to read materials that I would choose on my own, so I decided to create a list of books that I want to read over my vacations. As soon as finals end for fall semester, I drop everything and fly to Puerto Rico. After the semester is over, all I want to do is relax and make everything as stress-free as possible. One of the things I love to do and look forward to every year is being able to take time to sit on the beach and catch up on the list of must-reads that I have created. This year, I found myself on the plane with not a single book, but a backpack filled with tabloid magazines. Instead of reading thought provoking, intellectual pieces, I was consumed with discovering if Tiger Wood’s was a sex addict or where the cast of The Jersey Shore was going to be. Why was this so important to me?

Tabloidization has become an integral part of our daily lives. Johannsson talks about how tabloidization exploits celebrities and what it is used for. I believe that for many, and I am at fault as well, tabloidization is used as a coping mechanism. Tabloids such as People or In Touch do not always have the most accurate material. We as readers, I believe, know that the information we are absorbing is not fully true, but we continue to indulge.

celebrity gossip from Perez Hilton


The use of tabloidization gives readers another way/chance to connect with people they look up to and wouldn’t be able to see on a normal basis. It also shows that celebrities are not perfect. I believe that the tabloids were created to fade away the power lines and show readers that there is no reason to idolize other people; they are just people! This is true because almost all of the tabloids have a “Stars Are Just Like Us” section, showing them going to Starbucks or washing their cars. But is this fair to the celebrity?

Tabloidization may give the public another way to see into their favorite celebrities personal life and connect with them on a certain level, but aren’t tabloids and paparazzi and invasion of personal life? Tabloids may breakdown barriers between the public and celebrities, but creates a greater barrier between celebrities and their own lives. When was the last time you saw Paris Hilton without at least ten photographers fighting for a picture? The tabloids, and the public, are now holding a power over the celebrities through tabloidization.

No comments:

Post a Comment