Saturday, January 23, 2010

COPS, PBA Cards and how to get out of a ticket


We have all seen the shows cops and seen people get pulled over for speeding. The question is, how legitimate is our source of law and how much leeway to you has when you get pulled over? What are the chances that you will get a ticket and what the hell do those badges in the window of so many peoples cars mean. Having the luxury of working at an auto dealership I was curious of the explanation of PBA cards, gold cards, shields in the windows and different things like that.
Today it seems almost that it is immunity from getting a ticket when you have that very elite “gold card”. It is an abuse of power and I can honestly say that I have used that power to my advantage. I have 3 close members of my family that work for the police force and when I run into trouble with the law I owe them everything. I have been pulled over for speeding and said am _______’s nephew this is their pba card. The officer challenges your claim and then makes a decision.
In the older days there was little to do when you got pulled over, you would normally either get a ticket or not but today you have the option of donating to certain funds and basically sucking up to the cops. I don’t see much wrong with it other then the fact that I know the only reason that we do these things is to get out of a speeding ticket. You can donate to FOP or PBA and they will send you a sign of appreciation either a badge or a little card depending on the size of your donation.
The cops know exactly what is going on but they know that you are also paying their salary so they will sometimes let you off with a warning. I appreciate the warnings that I have been given and I am not saying that I would of rather had a ticket, but what I would like to claim is that it does not teach much when you get off all the time. I know that a little slap on the wrist has little effect on my driving but a 500$ ticket and 2 points on my license followed by a spike in my insurance will change my habits completely. Is it really right for these cops to abuse their power, it is a great example of a passive aggressive form of police brutality. There is a fine line between helping an office and him issuing you a benevolence card in appreciation and you asking him for one for some immunity down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment