Saturday, January 23, 2010

Food Followers

I found it interesting that when President Obama was elected into office and moved into the white house one of the biggest things I heard about was what he was eating and where. Every time I turned on the radio or opened Washingtonian magazine I felt like someone was telling me His latest order at 5 guys. Literally they would discuss what he ordered, how many people he was feeding and of course who paid. But 5 guys have been in the area, it’s nothing new and while I do enjoy their burger and fries, it is nothing special. Yet I would bet that their sales in the DC area went up and not just because of Obama’s large orders for him and his service.

Because a celebrity eats somewhere, does that make the food there better? Most of those celebrities are not food critics and I imagine they do not have impeccable taste yet they start trends and gain popularity for restaurants wherever they go.

This is not just a food issue. It seems this has always been the case with celebrities and fashion. People always want to know where they shop and who they’re wearing. But why is that? Do people trust the opinion of a celebrity more than they trust their own? I suppose that makes sense because most celebrities have stylists that dress them for those occasions. Sometimes people just want to dress like their favorite celerity. However in the case of food and eating I am much more curious.

Do people go secretly hoping that they will run into a celebrity? Or perhaps do people think that by eating at the same places they are like that celebrity and by eating the same thing or going the same places gives them something in common? I am not sure what the motive is but it seems to be working and the establishments these hungry celebrities chose seem to be reaping the benefits. Here in the metropolitan area that means basically every burger good joint thanks to President Obama. And while I am not familiar with restaurants in areas like Hollywood and New York I am sure the theory maintains.

No comments:

Post a Comment