Saturday, January 23, 2010

Green Fashion

Green Fashion. It was not until recently that I realized this was a legitimate possibility. I’ll be the first to say that I love to rock my UGGS on campus during those cold days when flip flops just are not an option. However, I never really took into account what part my deliciously warm choice of footwear took in the global world. Really, I honestly never gave a thought my choice of attire. As a woman who loves to shop I never looked to see what my clothes or other purchases were made out of. It was not until recently (having become a vegetarian) that I stopped to think about how my fashion choices affected the world at large. My good friend, and rising star in the green blogging world (she’s a vegan), let me know all about the terrible things animals have to endure to make us look fabulous. Now I’m not saying that I am against wearing animal product or people eating meat (meats just not my thing), but I do think people should be aware of the treatment of animals and quality of life they have (or lack there of) in order to give us our leather jackets or chicken nuggets. So how would one be able to dress themselves in the latest fashion and still be able to be friendly to the environment and its furry little friends? Green fashion is an up and coming phenomenon that allows people to purchase faux just about anything. Designers like Stella McCartney are using faux fur ect. in their lines to be a little friendlier to the environment. High fashion certainly can be achieved while also being a little more conscious of the environment and living conditions of animals. Many shopping websites are popping up and showing the world that green fashion is quite possible. Faux leather pump look just as cute as their real leather sisters. This rising trend in signifies a change in society. I think that we’re finally getting it. Even fashion can help the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment